Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Success!

Day 2-cont.

After my heart wrenching defeat by the enemy this morning, the boys came home from BB camp ready to snake hunt! I, being more interested in the ripe strawberries out there, persuaded D to come pick them for me. He just sticks his hand right down there!

As B, A, and I were standing there talking, our neighbors dog barked once, really loud and scared the bejeezus out of us. As I turned back to the strawberry patch I saw a snake slithering toward the bushes and I lunged with the shovel. Boy, they are fast. Thankfully, the boys all saw the snake and were able to track it going west in the bushes. I scrambled to the end of the bushes and slammed the shovel down on the back half of it's body. Yes! B and A then fought over who could chop the head. After several misses, in disgust I had A grab the shovel handle and took his hoe. I told them they didn't know what they were doing and then gave them an impressive display of how to hack a snake to death.

Triumphantly, we trooped back to the house. Unfortunately, we all had to agree, this was not the grandaddy one. He was a lighter color of black and just not big enough. We do believe we have discovered the enemy hideout though and figured out their escape plan. This may prove fruitful in future operations.

No comments: