Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Solo Reconnaissance


Day 2

Today, I decided to try a little solo reconnaissance, employing stealth as my major weapon. I learned three things last night. #1 D was wrong, since the garter snake is cold-blooded, he is the temperature of the air. So, he is more active when warm. Great.

#2 Not only did I go into this with no clear knowledge of my enemy, I also went into battle unprepared. This hit me last night as I watched my husband go after the cold-blooded varmint. As P bravely trudged right through the rhubarb into the bushes in search of the little devil, he had no fear. Now, this might have to do with him being male and not female, but what hit me was, "Maybe if I were wearing boots and jeans, I wouldn't be so worried about stepping on him!" See, I wasn't wearing the proper battle dress. In pursuing the enemy, flip flops and shorts weren't going to do it. (For a devotion that came out of this revelation click here.)

#3 Most of you probably figured this one out all ready. I know I am in pursuit of one HUGE garter snake, but after yesterday, I'm pretty sure he's the Grandaddy and I have more of his family to deal with. Ick. I was thinking about how the he didn't seem so large the second time around yesterday, thinner for sure (I'm always astounded by how FAT the original is) and then it hit me, we were chasing two garters yesterdays. Lesson number three, don't underestimate the enemy.

This morning I was all hyped up by my new knowledge and armed with boots, jeans, and bug spray, I headed out. I did some silent reconnaissance and didn't spot anything. I lifted foliage off the ground with my shovel and nothing moved. Hunted around the strawberries, nothing.

The strawberry patch proved to be a distraction. Ripe berries were scattered around the patch and the robins were hovering even as I stood there. How could I let them have them? The temptation proved to be too much so I retreated to the house for a bowl. I picked a couple on the outer edges and moved to the east where there is less ground cover. As I bent to pick the first berry, shoosh! there he went! How?! I knew before I ever stood up he was gone, (and believe me I stood up fast!) and this battle had gone to him again. How does he do that? I didn't even see him, right there in the open! If this had been real war, I'd be dead.

In great defeat, I trudged back to the house.

No comments: